SUPPORT FOR YOUNG MATH TALENTS TO GO TO UNIVERSITY
The Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships are a scholarship modality aimed at medalists of the Brazilian Public School Math Olympics (OBMEP) who have started a Graduation Course.
Since 2015, Instituto TIM has provided financial support in order to young students, who are talented in Math and had a good performance at OBMEP, are able to go to university. To participate, it is necessary to have a gold, silver or bronze medal in any edition of OBMEP and have already been approved to attend a degree in a public university in courses of Astronomy, Biology, Computing, Economics, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Math, Medicine or Chemistry. The scholarships are held monthly, in the amount of R$ 1,200, and may extend for up to 4 years.
WHAT IS THE SCENARIO IN WHICH THE PROJECT IS INSERTED?
Brazilian Public School Math Olympics (OBMEP) is considered the largest mathematical olympiad in the world. Its purpose is to stimulate the study of Mathematics by solving problems that arouse the interest and curiosity of teachers and students, also revealing talents in the area. Created in 2005, it is carried out by the National Institute of Pure and Applied Mathematics (IMPA) with resources from the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Science, Technology, Innovation and Communications and support from the Brazilian Society of Mathematics.
Around 18 million Elementary and High School students in municipal, state and federal public schools, in almost all Brazilian cities, participate in the competition each year. According to César Camacho, former general director of IMPA, OBMEP has an extremely positive impact on all students and contributes to the future increase in the number of qualified professionals in the areas of exact sciences and engineering in the country.
Many of the young people who stand out in the OBMEP, however, cannot continue in the studies for their families cannot monetarily support them to live in huge urban centers. It was to support the continuity of the studies of these young people that Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships were created.
- Support for the production of the Mathematics Portal, which brings together about 500 videos with the entire curriculum of Mathematics from the 6th year of Elementary School to the last year of High School and serves as a support material for teachers, students and the general public
- Creation of the Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships, with the provision of 50 scholarships for students in Astronomy, Biology, Computing, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Mathematics or Chemistry
- 28 undergraduate students in Engineering, 16 in Mathematics, 2 in Physics and 2 in Computer Science
- 2nd edition of the Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships, with the provision of 50 new scholarships
- Students from Medicine, Economics and Architecture could also enroll, as well as courses from the 1st edition: Astronomy, Biology, Computing, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry
- 24 undergraduate students in Engineering, 12 in Mathematics, 7 in Medicine, 4 in Physics, 1 in Computer Science and 1 in Statistics
- 3rd edition of the Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships, with the availability of 50 additional scholarships, totaling 150 scholarship holders supported
- The courses included were Astronomy, Biology, Computing, Economics, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Mathematics, Medicine and Chemistry
- 27 undergraduate students in Engineering, 6 in Mathematics, 6 in Medicine, 4 in Computer Science, 2 in Economic Sciences, 2 in Statistics, 2 in Physics and 1 in Chemistry
- 4th edition of the Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships, with the availability of 56 grants (50 new scholarships and 6 substitutions)
- The courses included were, again, Astronomy, Biology, Computing, Economics, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Mathematics, Medicine and Chemistry
- 26 undergraduate students in Engineering, 17 in Mathematics, 7 in Medicine, 2 in Computer Science, 2 in Statistics, 1 in Physics and 1 in Biology
RESULTS, ACHIEVEMENTS AND STORIES
Among the students who receive the Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships, there are some who have always liked Mathematics, others who enjoy Mathematics later in school, and others who like it very much of diverse subjects, not only of exact ones. But one characteristic is frequent among fellows: family influence – a relative who enjoys Mathematics, for example – makes it easy for the young person to be apt for discipline. Meet the stories of Antonio Hilton de Brito Passos and Alex Teixeira da Silva.
Learn more about it: Family makes a difference for OBMEP medalists
The objective of the Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships is to enable young talents in Mathematics who have been medalists in some edition of OBMEP to continue studying and graduating from college. Most of them are residents of regions away from major centers, and could not make up the college without the scholarship. Some even use the support money to supplement the income of their families. Meet the stories of Gabriel e Mateus Leite Queiroz Nunes, Ana Maria Paludo and Ianca Colombo.
Learn more about it: IT-OBMEP sponsor to complement the family income
In November 2017, Instituto TIM participated in the OBMEP National Awarding Ceremony, in which the 501 OBMEP 2016 medal winners were awarded. During the event, the deputy director of IMPA, Cláudio Landim, announced the offering of another 50 Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships in 2018.
Learn more about it: Tablets and 50 more scholarships at OBMEP award
Moving from city or state to attend a undergraduate course is the reality of many Brazilian students. Among the young people enrolled in the Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships, this is no different: several scholarship holders left their parents’ house to chase their dreams course, supported by the IT-OBMEP Scholarships. Meet the stories of Ricardo Vidal Teixeira, Fabiane Sene da Luz and Edmar Servante Linares Júnior.
Learn more about it: Support for graduation in another city
In 2017, 150 university students attended the school thanks to Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships. Know the stories of Maicon Araújo Siqueira, Janaina Ferreira de Santana Santos and Vitoria Barim Pacela.
Learn more about it: 150 students participate in IT-OBMEP Scholarships
In November 2016, Instituto TIM was present at the OBMEP 2015 National Awarding Ceremony. During the event, the general coordinator of OBMEP and IMPA deputy director, Claudio Landim, made the official announcement of the 3rd edition of the Instituto TIM-OBMEP Scholarships.
Learn more about it: IT in the OBMEP awarding event
In July 2015, Instituto TIM participated in the OBMEP National Award Ceremony 2014 and gave a further incentive to the 501 gold medalists, sponsoring the draw of 100 tablets at the end of the cerimony.
Learn more about it: Tablets for OBMEP medal-winners