PLATFORM FOR CULTURAL MANAGEMENT AND COLLABORATIVE MAPPING OF CULTURE
Mapas Culturais is a free software for cultural management and collaborative mapping that allows managers, cultural agents and all citizens to know, share and participate in the cultural production of a territory.
The platform is powered in two ways:
- By the public authority, that inserts in the platform information about the cultural equipment, schedules, events and official public notices.
- For the general population, who registers as a cultural agent (individual or collective) and can divulge their own data and schedules, enroll in public notices, network with other agents.
Mapas Culturais incorporates in the public processes the logics of free software, collaboration, decentralization, the use of open data and transparency.
Mapas Culturais is the base-software of National System for Cultural Information and Indicators (SNIIC). The platform has been made available by the Ministry of Culture, free of charge, to all states and municipalities interested in implementing it in the SaaS (software as a service) model and as part of the National Culture System.
Understand better how it works and what technologies the platform uses
Access the Mapas Culturais Handbook, which explores the use of the platform by public managers and cultural agents
Read the article about the Mapas Culturais project presented at the 1st Online Congress of Cultural Management
WHAT IS THE SCENARIO IN WHICH THE PROJECT IS INSERTED?
In 2010, 2.1 million Brazilian people worked in 400 thousand organizations that carried out cultural activities – equivalent to 7.8% of the total number of the Central Business Register (Cempre) of the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE). These are official figures – there are, however, a much larger number of cultural initiatives and producers that are not in the formal economy.
According to former Minister of Culture, Juca Ferreira, cultural management in Brazil is a field of many “I believe…” which suffers from a lack of information. Municipal and state Departments of Culture have few updated and real-time information for the formulation of public policies; at the federal level, the Ministry of Culture needs standardized data; and the citizen has low access to public information and the cultural agenda of his/her city or state. To have an idea, according to the Profile of the States and Brazilian Municipalities –Culture 2014, IBGE, only 13.1% of the cities use computerized systems in cultural management.
Establishing standards and mechanisms to measure cultural production, generating reliable and up-to-date information, is fundamental for the formulation of public policies to access and foster quality socio-cultural production. In addition, providing cultural information with the help of technology and the participation of cultural producers themselves serves for the entire population to have access to the cultural production of the territory.
Mapas Culturais contributes to public managers achieving the objectives of the Access to Information Law and strengthens the National Culture Plan – as it contributes to the fulfillment and monitoring of its goals (goals 2, 3 and 8, for example) and the goals of state and municipal plans.
- 1st Mapas Culturais Meeting in São Paulo-SP, with representatives of the public, private and civil society and cultural agents of Brazil and Latin America to discuss best practices of cultural mapping
- Beginning of articulation for the implementation of the SP Cultura platform, deploy of Mapas Culturais in the city of São Paulo-SP
- Mapping of initiatives and cultural agents in Campo Limpo neighborhood, in São Paulo-SP, carried out by 20 young scholarship holders from the Popular Agency Solano Trindade
- Information was collected from 400 agents and cultural initiatives
- The survey in Campo Limpo based the first wave of data insertion on the SP Cultura platform
- Installation of the SP Cultura platform, first deployment of Mapas Culturais, in the city of São Paulo-SP
- Launch of Mapa Cultural RS, of Rio Grande do Sul, the first installation of the platform in a state
- Deployment of Mapas Culturais in 2 states: Ceará (Mapa Cultural do Ceará) and Tocantins (Mapa Cultural do Tocantins)
- Deployment of Mapas Culturais in 5 cities: Sobral-CE (Sobral Cultura), São José dos Campos-SP (Lugares da Cultura), Blumenau-SC (Blumenau Mais Cultura), João Pessoa-PB (JP Cultura) and Santo André-SP (CulturAZ)
- Establishment of the partnership between Instituto TIM and the Ministry of Culture, in order to Mapas Culturais be adopted as an official tool of the National System for Cultural Information and Indicators (SNIIC)
- 3rd Encontrão Hacker in Fortaleza-CE (I Mapas Culturais Developers Meeting)
- Deployment of Mapas Culturais in Uruguay (Cultura en Línea)
- Deployment of Mapas Culturais in the Federal District (Mapa nas Nuvens) and 2 states: São Paulo (SP Estado da Cultura) and Mato Grosso (Cultura MT)
- Deployment of Mapas Culturais in 5 cities: Belo Horizonte-MG (Mapa Cultural BH), Ubatuba-SP (Mapa Cultural de Ubatuba), Parnaíba-PI (Mapa Cultural de Parnaíba), Londrina-PR (Londrina Cultura) e Santa Luzia-MG (Mapa Cultural de Santa Luzia)
- Deployment of Mapas Culturais in the Santa Catarina Northeast Municipalities Association – AMUNESC (AMUNESC Cultural), which includes 9 cities (Araquari, Balneário Barra do Sul, Campo Alegre, Garuva, Itapoá, Joinville, Rio Negrinho, São Bento do Sul and São Francisco do Sul)
- II Meeting of the Mapas Culturais Network and the 1st Meeting of the Articulating Network of Cultural Information, in Brasília-DF
- II Meeting of Mapas Culturais Developers, in São Paulo-SP
- Start of the deployments of the platform via SaaS (software as a service) through the Ministry of Culture
- Deployment of Mapas Culturais in 5 states: Espírito Santo (Mapa Cultural ES), Paraíba (Cultura na Paraíba), Pernambuco (Mapa Cultural de Pernambuco), Sergipe (Mapa Cultural de Sergipe) and Maranhão (Mapa Cultural do Maranhão)
- Deployment of Mapas Culturais in 7 cities: Aracaju-SE (Mapa Cultural de Aracaju), Foz do Iguaçu-PR (Mapa da Cultura Foz), Guarulhos-SP (GRUCultura), Ilhéus-BA (Mapa Cultural de Ilhéus), Itu-SP (Mapa Cultural de Itu), Laguna-RS (Mapa Laguna) e São Caetano do Sul-SP (Cultura de São Caetano)
- IV Meeting of Managers and III Meeting of Developers of Mapas Culturais
- Deployment of the 5th thematic platform of Mapas Culturais of MinC: Pontos de Memória
- Deployment of Mapas Culturais in 7 cities: Osasco-SP (OsCultura), Camaçari-BA (Mapa Cultural de Camaçari), Itapetininga-SP (Mapa Cultural Itapetininga), Senhor do Bonfim-BA (Nos Trilhos da Cultura), Várzea Grande-MT (Cultura Várzea Grande), Franco da Rocha-SP (Franco é Mais Cultura) and Novo Hamburgo-RS (Mapa Cultural de Novo Hamburgo)
Other platforms have been deployed since then: Guarujá Cultura, of Guarujá-SP; Mapa Cultural de Juazeiro do Norte, of Juazeiro do Norte-CE; Mapa Cultural de Ipatinga, of Ipatinga-MG; Mapa Cultural Rio das Ostras, of Rio das Ostras-RJ; Janela Cultural, of Várzea Paulista-SP; Maringá Cultura, of Maringá-PR; and Mapa IberCultura Viva, of the cooperation program IberCultura Viva.
RESULTS, ACHIEVEMENTS AND STORIES
With increasingly populous urban centers around the world and more complex management demands, the discussion about the concept of smart cities is growing. Such concept involves the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) to improve the efficiency of the urban management and the quality of life of its residents. Three solutions developed by Instituto TIM are applied to smart cities: Busca Ativa Escolar, ZUP and Mapas Culturais.
Learn more about it: Solutions that contribute to smart cities
Through a partnership between the Ministry of Culture and Instituto TIM, the National System for Cultural Information and Indicators (SNIIC) was migrated to an installation of the Mapas Culturais platform, resulting in the Mapa da Cultura platform. In addition to providing the entire SNIIC database, Mapa da Cultura adds data from three other platforms created by MinC: Museus BR, Rede Cultura Viva and Mapa das Bibliotecas.
Learn more about it: Get to know the Mapas platforms in MinC
Since the creation of the platform, new functionalities have been developed and new uses have been adopted by the states and municipalities that implemented it. It is the greatest proof that the Mapas Culturais Network not only implemented the tool, but appropriated it.
Learn more about it: New solutions for Mapas in SP in Hackultura
New uses for Mapas in Ceará
SP: Férias nos Museus site uses Mapas