Support to Science and Technology Museums and Centers
SUPPORT FOR ACTIONS OF SCIENTIFIC DIVULGATION AND THAT PROMOTE THE POPULARIZATION AND DIFFUSION OF SCIENCE
In partnership with the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), Instituto TIM has supported 50 projects for dissemination, education and product development of 37 museums and science and technology centers, teaching and research institutions and universities of all regions of Brazil.
The initiatives include training of teachers, development of teaching materials, websites and apps, scientific exhibitions, school activities, scientific research, open dissemination events (such as plays), communication plays (such as radio programs), expeditions to riverside communities, expansion of collections, among others. The actions are aimed to the public from 4 to 10 years and focused especially on the subject of light, in celebration of the International Year of Light, commemorated in 2015.
SUPPORT TO NATIONAL MUSEUM
Aligned to the mission of increase resources and strategies to democratize the science in Brazil, Instituto TIM has been supporting the resumption of National Museum’s activities, hit by a fire of large proportions in September 2018. Instituto TIM, in partnership with TIM, offers 4G connectivity, free of charges to the institution, with the aim of enabling the communication and other Museum activities.
WHAT IS THE SCENARIO IN WHICH THE PROJECT IS INSERTED?
According to the Science Centers and Museums of Brazil 2015 study there are, in the whole country, at least 268 spaces aimed at the popularization of science. Museums, zoos, planetariums, botanical gardens that articulate with the surrounding school community and offer educational and entertainment spaces for the wider public as well. Its distribution is uneven: 155 are in the Southeast; 44 in the South; 43 in the Northeast; 15 in the Center-West; and 11 in the North.
Although they receive government investments and support from the Ministry of Science, Technology, Innovation and Communications (MCTIC), many of these institutions need resources from organizations such as Instituto TIM to leverage their actions.
- Beginning of the actions of the support line to museums and centers of science and technology. 5 institutions were selected to receive support:
- Espaço do Conhecimento (Knowledge Space) UFMG, linked to the Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte-MG
- Museum of Astronomy and Related Science (MAST), research unit of the Ministry of Science, Technology, Innovation and Communications (MCTIC), in Rio de Janeiro-RJ
- Emilio Goeldi Museum in Pará, also connected to MCTIC, located in Belém-PA
- Museum of Natural Sciences, linked to the Federal University of Paraná (UFPR), in Curitiba-PR
- Espaço Ciência (Space Science), linked to the Department of Science and Technology of Pernambuco (SECTEC), located in Olinda-PE
- Closure of the activities supported by Intituto TIM at Espaço do Conhecimento UFMG
- Between 2012 and 2013, 131,454 people were involved
- Closing of the activities supported by Instituto TIM at Museum of Astronomy and Related Sciences (MAST)
- Between 2013 and 2014, 17,312 people were involved
- Closure of the activities supported by Intituto TIM at Emilio Goeldi Museum in Pará
- Between 2013 and 2014, 16,675 people were involved
- Closure of the activities supported by Instituto TIM at Museum of Natural Sciences of UFPR
- Between 2013 and 2015, 4,436 people were involved
- Establishment of a partnership between Instituto TIM and the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq)
- Launch of the public notice to support museums and centers of science and technology, held by Instituto TIM in partnership with CNPq (Call MCTI/CNPQ/SECIS/TIM – Scientific Disclosure Activities for the International Year of Light)
- Disclosure of the result of the IT/CNPq public notice
- Beginning of the activities of the selected projects
- Together, the actions involved about 75,000 people in 2016
- Closure of the activities supported by Instituto TIM at Espaço Ciência
- Between 2013 and 2016, about 200,000 people were involved
- Continuation of the actions supported by Instituto TIM through the IT/CNPq public notice
- Support to the resumption of National Museum’s activities, hit by a fire of large proportions in September 2018, offering 4G connectivity, free of charges, in partnership with TIM
RESULTS, ACHIEVEMENTS AND STORIES
The project “Luz, cores, ação!” (Light, colors, action!) of the Federal University of Campina Grande is taking theater performances and activities workshops related to light and color to public schools of Campina Grande and region.
Learn more about it: Theater, workshops and book on light and colors
Elementary School I teachers from the regions of Ribeirão Preto-SP and Lajeado-RS are receiving training to improve science teaching. The initiatives are carried out, respectively, by projects of the University of São Paulo and the Centro Universitário Univates.
Learn more about it: Teacher training in science
Two initiatives supported by Instituto TIM bring scientific experiments on light to children from municipal schools in Natal and Campina Grande. The projects are carried out by the Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology of Rio Grande do Norte and the Federal University of Campina Grande.
Learn more about it: Public notice: experiments in class
Two institutions supported by Instituto TIM invite children of regions of difficult access of the Amazon to reflect on the ambient in which they live. The project of the Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology of Amazonas is underway in Manacapuru-AM schools and the State University of Roraima will lead workshops of pinhole cameras to the Lower Rio Branco.
Learn more about it: Projects for children of the Amazon
Two of the projects included in the public notice invite children from 7 to 10 years to learn about light and energy by experimenting and playing while teachers undergo training. The initiatives are from the Interactive Museum of Sciences of the South Fluminense, in Barra Mansa, and from the State University of Amapá, in Macapá.
Learn more about it: Public notice: exhibition and playroom
One of the three proposals of the State University of Roraima contemplated by the public notice promotes interactive exhibitions on the importance of light for the evolution of life on Earth. In Curitibanos, one of the projects of the Federal University of Santa Catarina takes students from grades 4th to 6th to do activities related to remote sensing on campus.
Learn more about it: Public notice: meet two projects
Instituto TIM was honored at the opening of the 12th National Week of Science and Technology. MCTI’s Executive Secretary, Emília Ribeiro, officially announced the first public notice for support to science and technology museums and centers held by Instituto TIM and CNPq, and handed a thank-you card to the president of Instituto TIM, Manoel Horacio.
Learn more about it: Tribute and activities at the SNCT
The public notice of support to science and technology museums and centers held by Instituto TIM and CNPq was launched in Brasília during the closing of the 11th National Week of Science and Technology by the MCTI Secretary of Science and Technology for Social Inclusion, Oswaldo Duarte.
Learn more about it: Secretary presents public notice