ZUP – Zeladoria Urbana Participativa
PLATFORM FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF URBAN ASSETS AND SERVICES THAT COUNTS WITH CITIZEN INVOLVEMENT
ZUP is a powerful management tool that can be used by any municipality that has an interest in managing its public services in a more efficient and participative way.
It enables managers to collect, analyze, organize, share and monitor information about the city, automate document flows, and manage inventories and services provided by partner companies. The citizen, in turn, participates in the governance mapping demands and accompanying the provision of services.
ZUP is divided into 2 main components, ZUP Cidadão (Citizen) and ZUP Gestão (Management) (ZUP Gestão includes 2 other components, ZUP Fiscal and ZUP Inventários (Inventories)).
- Through the ZUP Cidadão it is possible to create the georeferenced report of a problem that needs to be solved.
- This piece of information enters the ZUP Gestão module, a Business Intelligence system where public managers follow and execute the process of solving the case, which is informed to the citizen.
- ZUP Inventários enables the monitoring of urban assets.
- ZUP Fiscal helps fieldwork of public officials.
System information feeds a database on all governance operations, which helps managers anticipate problems.
Understand better how it works and what technologies the platform uses
See the complete software documentation
WHAT IS THE SCENARIO IN WHICH THE PROJECT IS INSERTED?
New Information and Communication Technologies have made citizens’ participation in various aspects of public life more and more accessible. On the other hand, the new technologies allow the public authority to reach new standards of city management.
According to the Digital Governance Strategy of the Ministry of Planning, Budget and Management, the application of technology in public policies is a determining factor for the economic and social development of Brazil. Therefore, in recent years, the government has focused on promoting digital public services, enabling access to information and broadening social participation in the construction of public policies through new technologies.
The Brazilian Electronic Government Policy operates on three fundamental fronts: with the citizen; improving the internal management of governments; and integration with partners and suppliers. The Brazilian Electronic Government Program prioritizes the use of Information and Communication Technologies to democratize access to information, with the objective of broadening the debate and popular participation in the construction of public policies, as well as improving the quality of services and information provided.
In order to contribute to these objectives, Intituto TIM developed the ZUP – Zeladoria Urbana Participativa platform, a free software aligned with the Digital Governance Strategy and the guidelines of the Brazilian Electronic Government Policy.
- Beginning of São Paulo em Suas Mãos (São Paulo In Your Hands) project, a partnership between Instituto TIM and the Subprefecture of Sé, in São Paulo
- At the time, Subprefecture of Sé defined as a priority the implementation of a set of technological resources for the establishment of new standards of urban governance that could include citizen participation
- Development of the ZUP platform based on the demands and needs of the Subprefecture of Sé
- Beginning of conferences for implementation of ZUP in São Bernardo do Campo-SP
- Change of the project’s name to ZUP – Zeladoria Urbana Participativa (Participatory Urban Governance)
- Donation of the ZUP platform to the city of São Paulo
- Georeferenced map of 500 km from the city of São Bernardo do Campo for the creation of the urban tree inventory
- More than 20 thousand trees were identified and registered on the platform
- Beginning of conferences for implementation of ZUP in Boa Vista-RR
- Launch of ZUP in São Bernardo do Campo, where the platform is called VcSBC
- Launch of ZUP in Boa Vista, where the platform is called VcBV
- Beginning of conferences for implementation of ZUP in Rio de Janeiro
- Launch of ZUP in Rio de Janeiro, where the platform was called ConservaZUP
- Extension of ZUP in Rio de Janeiro and change of platform name to ZUP RIO
- The platform was used in the management of the municipality of Rio de Janeiro during the 2016 Olympic Games.
- Only during the Olympics, more than a thousand reports generated some type of action by the City Hall; from those, more than 90% were informed and resolved through ZUP RIO.
- Beginning of conferences for implementation of ZUP in Cascavel-PR
- Launch of ZUP in Cascavel, where the platform is called Particity
RESULTS, ACHIEVEMENTS AND STORIES
Marechal Cândido Rondon, in the west of Paraná, is the first municipality to do an autonomous deployment of the ZUP platform. Named as VcMCR, the platform began to be deployed in September 2017 and was launched to the community on April 2018. Since then, reports of irregularities have been sent through the application to the citizen with an average solution time of 5.71 days.
Learn more about it: Autonomous deploy of ZUP in Mal. Cândido Rondon
With increasingly populous urban centers around the world and more complex management demands, the discussion about the concept of smart cities is growing. Such concept involves the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) to improve the efficiency of the urban management and the quality of life of its residents. Three solutions developed by Instituto TIM are applied to smart cities: Busca Ativa Escolar, ZUP and Mapas Culturais.
Learn more about it: Solutions that contribute to smart cities
The ZUP platform was used in actions to fight Aedes aegypti mosquito, transmitter of dengue, zika virus and chikungunya, in Rio de Janeiro and Boa Vista. In both cities, ZUP was used to record information on locating and monitoring mosquito outbreaks.
Learn more about it: Rio Municipal Department of Health adopts ZUP RIO
ZUP RIO in inspections against Aedes aegypti
ZUP in the fight against Aedes aegypti
Each municipality that deploys ZUP uses the platform in a different way. São Bernardo do Campo, Rio de Janeiro and Boa Vista have already achieved visible and positive results in the management of their urban services. Get to know more about using ZUP in these three locations.
Learn more about it: Get to know the ZUP installations
The application of ZUP in São Bernardo do Campo was one of the winning initiatives of the Governarte 2015 Competition: Eduardo Campos Award, promoted by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB). The platform competed with 94 other initiatives from governments throughout Latin America and the Caribbean and was awarded in the category “Cities and Big Data”.
Learn more about it: VcSBC is awarded in Washington
VcSBC wins Governarte Awards 2015